I thought I'd post about something really important to me...positivity.
In the world we live in today, we are always having media shoved in our faces full of negative stories and messages. I get that our world right now is full of a lot of serious things, and I'm for sure not throwing them to the wind. But I am saying that I think its important to surround ourselves with positive energy, in order to create that in our world.
Think about your social media. Who do you follow? What do they post about everyday? Do you follow people who are always posting about the tragedy in the world? About the kid who died, or a group of hungry kids in a third world country? What about the new life (animal and human) who was born that same second? What about the 20,000 acts of random kindness that happen daily? My question is, why not post about that? There are so many positive things that happen around us, and instead of focusing on that we continue to focus on the negative. How will our world ever change if we don't see what's already right in front of us?
As I write this post I feel I should add a disclaimer. I am not in any way saying that these tragic happenings are unimportant, or am I being naive. What I'm saying is that even in a time of severe sadness, tragedy, or peril, what is one way you can focus on the positive and bring light into whatever situation you are in?
Let me know in the comments below how you bring light into your everyday life.
Stay cool cucumbers,
Soundless: by Richelle Mead 4/5 Stars
Published: November 10th, 2015
Page Count: 266 pages
Synopsis: In a village without sound…
For as long as Fei can remember, no one in her village has been able to hear. Rocky terrain and frequent avalanches make it impossible to leave the village, so Fei and her people are at the mercy of a zipline that carries food up the treacherous cliffs from Beiguo, a mysterious faraway kingdom.
When villagers begin to lose their sight, deliveries from the zipline shrink. Many go hungry. Fei and all the people she loves are plunged into crisis, with nothing to look forward to but darkness and starvation.
One girl hears a call to action…
Until one night, Fei is awoken by a searing noise. Sound becomes her weapon.
She sets out to uncover what’s happened to her and to fight the dangers threatening her village. A handsome miner with a revolutionary spirit accompanies Fei on her quest, bringing with him new risks and the possibility of romance. They embark on a majestic journey from the peak of their jagged mountain village to the valley of Beiguo, where a startling truth will change their lives forever…
And unlocks a power that will save her people.
Review: SPOILERS FOLLOW FROM THIS POINT ON!
Another great book out of Richelle Mead, I absolutely her Vampire Academy and intend on reading her Bloodlines series. We get introduced to Fei living in a village where everyone is deaf and they adapted well, but some are beginning to lose their sight and Fei's sister Zhang Jing is losing hers. All the while Fei having to hide it since she and Zhang Jing work on Peacock Court as an apprentice how all the news is spread everyday by calligraphy and paintings. Worrying that her sister will become an beggar rarely getting food and is helpless.
One day Sheng one of Fei's fellow apprentices is upset over a boy stealing food and is kicked out of the court since that is one of the highest crimes possible, spots to be an apprentice in very high demand. The boy being dragged out by Li Wei and Sheng with new injuries leaving the boy in the road, which Fei doesn't appreciate. But Li Wei and Fei apologizing later on in the form of gifts what they have done since they were 8 years old. Wanting to marry but she got accepted into Peacock Court sparking the gift giving apologises.
One morning waking up to new unfarmiliar things which we learn are sounds but at the time she doesn't know. But since shes been deaf her whole life they cause her not to be able to concentrate all day and cause a migrane. Claiming a headache to her elders she spends the day in the library reading Feng Jie's writings the last one to be able to hear in the village generations ago. Trying to describe these new and weird sounds.
But sadly, because of Zhang Jie losing her sight slowly she loses her apprenticeship gaining an job as an servant since the boy stole food. Fei being sent out to overlook the mining one day Li Wei losing his father in an mining accident, Fei hearing the sound of grief for the first time.
After some talking her and Li Wei steal some boys clothing and rations to climb down the mountain Fei being able to hear the falling rocks. It all works until Li Wei's ropes snap and he falls luckily unharmed. Stopping in a village that also was deaf but didn't survive no one knowing about other villages that exist just like Fei's. They climb for a few days reaching the village at which the zip line keeper lives, meeting him hogging a bunch of the food that Fei's village needs.
This village being able to hear and speak Fei and Li Wei is being shunned but Xio Mei taking them into an inn. Xio Mei being able to sign a different language with some common words. The village is called Beiugo and cna be quite mean to deaf persons, and their king named Jianjun. Lu Zhu a friend of Xio Mei is against Jianjun and can sign as well. After an bowl breaking which would enrage the inn keeper Fei paints a new one just like it and it goes unnoticed by the inn keeper.
Xio Mei taking Fei and Li Wei to a village who everyone is deaf to a woman named Naun, keeping Fei and Li Wei in safety. But all the while finding out why the village cannot hear and some are beginning to lose their sight. The blindness caused by the metals they unearth in exchange for food. Ending back up on Fei's village since the vengeful line keeper doesn't want them in his village.
Fei being the one to help get the other deaf villagers to raise the Pyxisus after the line keeper makes them mine basically 24/7. All the villagers screaming at the top of their lungs therefore raising the Pyxisus. Now the villagers cannot gain their hearing back but the village is safe. Fei and another girl who can hear is learning to speak and the village is thriving again.
This was good but it needed like about another 100 pages to see what happens and how well the village is doing after the Pyxisus is raised. Though Richelle got the Mythology done so well and I 100% recommended this book. It's such a lovely mix of fantasy and mythology, and if you haven't read anything by Richelle please do so!
Welcome to the Horned Readers book club. This is our blog page where we post stuff about the books being read in club, and where our members can discuss them in the comments! We thought we'd share a little more about ourselves...so here it goes!
10 Facts about Eden
1. I live in a small town in California, on a 40 acre farm with a crapton of animals.
2. I have dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, goats, and chickens (just to name a few).
3. I am homeschooled, and I have been since kindergarten.
4. My favorite book is 13 by Lauren Myracle and honestly its my favorite because I've read it maybe 6 times!
5. My favorite author is Rick Riordan, by far. Rick, you rule the world.
6. I am part of 4H (for anyone who doesn't speak farm thats an agriculture program in California through UC Davis).
7. I am vegetarian/vegan and a quite avid animal activist.
8. I want to be a vet when I'm older, and I've known this since I was 8 years old!
9. My CR (current read) is Peace, Love and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle.
10. I lived in NYC for 2 years (and I hated it, I'm sorry New Yorkers I can't live without authentic Mexican food and pet goats).
10 Facts about Janet
1. My top 3 favorite authors are Cassandra Clare writing The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, The Bane Chronicles, Shadowhunter Academy, The Shadowhunters Codex, The Dark Artifacts, and coming in the next few years is The Last Hours and The Wicked Powers. Kiera Cass writing The Selection Series and The Siren, and Sarah J Maas writing Throne of Glass series, and A Court of Thorns and Roses series.
2. My all time favorite TV shows are Once Upon A Time (a hardcore oncer), The 100, Grey's Anatomy, and Shadowhunter.
3. I own 4 pets a black male cat named Midnight, a male yellow lab named Buddy, a male mutt (3 different breeds which I can't remember at the moment) Georgia, and a female red eared slider turtle named Hailey.
4. I am homeschooled and it is literally the best thing ever! Having a huge interest in Surgery ( or really medical things) and Criminal Justice.
5. I am a book unicorn without a proper bookshelf, but that will be fixed soon. On top of that buying way too many books for that situation.
6. For the year of 2016 I have a reading goal of 100 books having to read 8 a month.
7. I am a single pringle and plan to be for a long time because book boyfriends like Will Herondale.
8. A very proud Ravenclaw the best house crest in my opinion. And really wanna go to Harry Potter World.
9. I was born in the year of the turn of the century (2000), born on May 19th, 2000.
10. I live in Florida.
We were started because both Janet and I had wanted to start a book club for ages, but didn't individually have the format to make it happen. But when we joined forces everything clicked and here we are! Remember, to join just shoot a message to us on our contact page and we will get back to you ASAP.
Check us out on Instagram at:
Eden - @edenhavana
Janet - @_books_are_my_bae_
Horned Readers - @hornedreaders